terça-feira, 8 de agosto de 2023

122nd Anniversary of August 8th, the accident that made S=D win the Deutsch Prize




The accident on the 8th of August is very important for winning the Deutsch prize and, consequently, of all the S=D achievements, no one reaches a goal if they don't get involved in doing things, accomplishing them - getting out of their comfort zone and commit to something, biographers sin and only report victories.


It is in accidents that a solution is found to move forward, both mentally, not giving up; as scientifically, resolving scientific inconsistencies.

-

The 'Deutsch Prize Achievement' by Santos=Dumont marked a significant historical milestone, not only for its remarkable victory in achieving air drivability, but also for its achievement within a time limit.

But like any success, it had a lot of adjustments along the way - one of them was the accident of August 8th, "8/8".

-

In a contest practically without competitors, due to the impressive advance of his conquests in the science of flight, Santos=Dumont built airship n. 5, equipped with a more powerful engine, to make the trip between the Parc de Saint-Cloud and the Eiffel Tower in less than thirty minutes.

On October 19, 1901, Santos=Dumont masterfully flew over the Eiffel Tower, completing the challenge in 29 minutes and 30 seconds. This achievement not only established his superiority in the field of aviation, but also highlighted him as a true world celebrity. His ability to achieve drivability and meet the allotted time solidified his position as a visionary pioneer, promising to bring wings to the world.

This photo is wonderful, it exactly describes Santos=Dumont's moment of disappointment and pain. He has just suffered the worst setback of his career, as just as he was about to win the prize, he had an accident that destroyed his aircraft. There is a natural chiaroscuro in the photo - from Dumont's right side the light hits the audience who love to watch his adventures in the skies of Paris and seem to say "don't give up". On her left side, people in the shadows with their heads down, seem to corroborate his pain. Thank God Dumont opted for the light - less than two months after this tragic accident, he built a new airship and finally won the prize.

From that moment on, Santos=Dumont became an iconic and inspiring figure, a symbol of innovation and progress. His Deutsch Prize win not only propelled aviation forward, but also perpetuated his image as the man who made the dream of flying a reality, leaving a legacy that echoes through generations as a true Father of Air Exploration.

The Princess's Blessing

On July 13, 1901, after going around the Eiffel Tower with the N.5 Santos=Dumont, he received an invitation to go to the palace of Princess Isabel, now Countess d'Eu.

São Bento and São Benedito are distinct figures in history; São Bento (480 ~547 AD) was the founder of the Benedictine order, not to be confused with São Benedito, the Moor (1526 ~1589) - Both have great devotion in Brazil. Also note her Chanel cufflink. Dumont had great friendship and respect for Coco Chanel, who revolutionized the fashion world with less structured dresses.

She was worried, like a Brazilian mother who sees her son doing acrobatics in foreign skies and decided to give him a protective amulet, a medal of São Bento that has blessed him ever since.

The Accident That Turned Right

On August 8, Santos=Dumont took off from the Saint-Cloud airfield, to the applause of more than 200 people who got up early to watch his feat and the Detusch Prize technical committee.

In this old photo of the Ile de Cygnes taken by Nadar, we can easily locate the building of the old Trocadero hotel, which became famous for its numerous photos with the boat on the N.5. Demolished at some point, it gave way to the twin building of the one previously built in 1901 (know more)

He needed to reach the Eiffel Tower, go around it and return to the starting point in 30 minutes, as described in the rules of the prize of 100 thousand francs offered by the Aeroclube de France.

Inexplicably, the balloon began to deflate from the loss of hydrogen. Without the rigidity of the envelope, a support cable came loose, being destroyed by the airship's propeller.

Santos=Dumont had only one option: at 200 meters high, he turned off the engine and controlled the airship as if it were a captive balloon until it fell over the Hotel Trocadero - see the full sequence of the fall here.

Santos=Dumont reports illustrated by Luiz Pagano


read this article in English

“I come now to the terrible day: August 8, 1901. In the presence of the Scientific Committee of the Aero Club, I set off for the Eiffel Tower. I went around it after 9 minutes and headed towards Saint Cloud. Unfortunately, an accident had weakened the spring of one of the automatic valves and the balloon was losing hydrogen. I ventured on. The balloon constricted visibly; to such an extent that when reaching the fortifications of Paris, near La Muette, the suspension ropes arched so much that the ones closest to the propeller became hooked on the propeller in motion.
I saw the propellers cut and rip them off. I stopped the engine.


The wind, which was blowing hard, instantly took the device to the side of the Eiffel Tower. At the same time, I fell. The gas loss was considerable.
I could have thrown off a lot of ballast and sensibly cushion the fall, but that way the wind would have had time to throw me against the ironwork of the great monument. I preferred to let the aircraft go in its own way (…)
I fell. And the wind carried me to the Eiffel Tower (…)the end of my elongated balloon, which still had all its gas, hit a roof just as I was about to cross it.


The balloon burst, with a great noise (...)
Thank God there was no hydrogen explosion, the shell burst like a birthday balloon, making a lot of noise.

A paper bag full of air, knocked against a wall, bursts, producing a great noise; well, my balloon, which wasn't small, made a noise like that, but... in a big way. 


It was completely destroyed.

La destruction et le sauvage du Santos=Dumont N.5 - La Vie Illustrée 16 de agosto de 1901

There was no piece bigger than a napkin!


I was saved by a true miracle,
because I was hanging by some ropes, which were part of the balloon, in an uncomfortable and dangerous position, from which the firefighters of Paris came to rescue me”

He got up, dusted himself off and made Airship Number 6

“I started building a new balloon and a new engine, this one a little stronger, the other a little bigger. Three weeks, counted day by day, after the last disaster, my device, number 6, was ready.

The weather, however, was still bad. On October 19, 1901, in the afternoon, as the morning was rainy, the official departure took place at 2:42 am. your direct line. I advanced by gradually raising the aircraft to an altitude of 10 meters above its peak. This maneuver wasted my time, but protected me, as far as possible, against any danger of contact with the monument.

I went up again, went around the Tower, at a height of 250 meters, over a huge crowd that was parked there waiting for me.
The return was delayed. The wind was contrary. The engine, which until then had behaved well, as soon as it left the Tower about 500 meters behind, threatened to stop. I had a moment of serious indecision. A quick measure had to be taken. At the risk of veering off course, I left the helm for a moment in order to concentrate my attention on the carburetor knob and the electric spark control lever.

The engine, which had almost stopped, resumed its pace.

I had just reached the Bois de Bologna. There, due to a phenomenon that all aeronauts are well aware of, the freshness of the trees began to make the balloon progressively heavier. And by unpleasant coincidence, the engine slowed down again. In such a way that the aircraft descended at the same time that the driving force became smaller. To oppose the descent I had to push back the guide-rope and the movable weights. The aircraft took a diagonal position and what was left of energy to the propeller made it remount in a continuous way.


I had arrived at the track at the d'Auteuil racecourse. The aircraft passed over the audience, with the bow raised very high, and I could hear the applause of the huge crowd, when, suddenly, my capricious engine regained its full speed. Suddenly accelerated, the propeller, which was almost under the aircraft, so steep it was, exaggerated the inclination even more. The ovations were followed by cries of alarm.
From my exit to the moment I passed the zenith of the starting point, 29 minutes and 30 seconds elapsed. With the speed I carried, I crossed the finish line - as yachts, oil boats, racehorses, etc. do.
- , I reduced the power of the engine and tacked; then, returning, and with less speed, I maneuvered to touch the land, which I did in 31 minutes after my departure.

I still didn't know the exact time. I shouted: - I won? It was the crowd that answered me: - Yes! Well, some gentlemen wanted that to be the official time! Big controversies. I had with me all the press and people of Paris and also Son Altesse Imperiale le Prince Roland Bonaparte, president of the Scientific Commission that was going to judge the matter. The vote was in my favor.”

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário